Reel-to-reel audio tapes were the high quality recording option back in their day. They had several recording speeds and tape lengths. Today, it's difficult to find working players. You may have tapes that were recorded by family members and you have no idea what is on them! Let us help! We can convert your tapes to an audio file or CD.
All conversions are done here in our office. They are safe with us. We will convert your analog audio to digital. Next, we "clean" the audio by removing and reducing the hiss and hum to improve the quality of your final CD or audio file. There's no charge for audio cleaning.
You can bring your reels to our office or ship it to us. Either way, your audio will receive the same careful attention.
"They are doing an awesome job converting some very old reel-to-reel tape recordings and vinyl albums into digital format (WAV and MP3) so that I can upload them to cloud storage and share them with other members of the choir that made the recordings in the 1960's and 1970's."
Quick Tips about Audio Files
- Audio files can hold hours of content in one file.
- For recorded music, an individual file can be created for each song. This is dependent on gaps of silence between songs.
- For live music, individual song files may not be as accurate due to crowd noise.
- WAV files are higher quality and are recommended if you plan to edit your audio.
Quick Tips about Audio CDs
- Audio CDs can only hold about 80 minutes.
- For recorded music, CD tracks can be added if desired.
- For voice recordings, we recommend a single track.
- Audio CD files cannot be copied off and used. However, you can use software to rip the CD and create audio files.
- CDs can be custom printed with your text and include a space-saving CD case.
How much audio is on my reel-to-reel?
|Audio Reel Size (length)|| 1 7/8 ips
| 3 3/4 ips
|7 1/2 ips
|3" (150 feet)||16 minutes||8 minutes||4 minutes||2 minutes|
|4" (300 feet)||32 minutes||16 minutes||8 minutes||4 minutes|
|5" (600 feet)||64 minutes||32 minutes||16 minutes||8 minutes|
|7" (1200 feet)||128 minutes||64 minutes||32 minutes||16 minutes|
|10.5" (2400 feet)||256 minutes||128 minutes||64 minutes||32 minutes|
Note: The speed is measured in inches per second (ips). The feet and lengths listed above are for common reels. Reels can be mono or stereo, and some reels can contain multiple recording speeds. All prices listed are for 1/4" tape.